Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Baking Antics- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake


After spending some time on my favorite new idea site-Pinterest. I came across this recipe, and quickly looked around for the ingredients. I had them! So, I started this cake journey.

I give credit for the recipe to "Bake or Break". There are many wonderful recipes here. As I started baking I quickly realized that this cake wasn't going to be calorie free. I figure about 15 servings per recipe. With total calories per piece being: 425. OUCH! So I quickly tried to figure out where I could cut calories and decided that for now I would just work on the frosting. Not only did I not have cream cheese in the house, that is the main cause for all the calories in the frosting, so I quickly looked for a frosting recipe with my favorite ingredient: Greek Yogurt! And I found one here at "Cupcake Project". This recipe was the perfect fix for the calorie laden topping! After re-figuring the calories I now brought a serving down to: 321. Still a lot, but 100 calories less.

Now for the taste test. My family loved it! We feel as though this will be a great cake for fall. It has the consistency of coffee cake, which went well with my ice tea!

As I search for recipes to put into a recipe book my girls can take with them when they get their own place, I think this recipe is going in.

In the future I may try and make it a bit healthier with whole wheat flour, apple sauce instead of butter, and agave nectar for the sugar. I will let you know how that turns out. :)

Have a creative day!


cilicia signiture2

No comments: